Americans disagree about many things. But we should be able to agree that it’s wrong for our president to praise white supremacists while denigrating the patriotic citizens demonstrating against them; to insult judges, civil servants, and the brave men and women of our intelligence community; to fire an FBI director for trying to maintain the independence of our law enforcement institutions; or to try to profit personally from the presidency. All of us, whether we’re Democrats, Republicans or Independents, should defend our Constitution, freedom of speech and of the press, and the idea that America is one country, where we respect every person no matter their race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or country of origin. If elected, I will:
- Protect the democratic institutions that keep us free and hold our leaders accountable, and defend the women and men who serve America as members of the armed forces, diplomats, and civil servants.
- Continue to support LGBTQ rights by fighting to extend federal anti-discrimination laws to cover gender identity and sexual orientation.
- Oppose any policy meant to divide Americans, including Trump’s current travel and refugee ban, which Congressman Lance supports; it has torn apart families in New Jersey and hurts our national security.
- Support bipartisan immigration reform and protect the DREAMERS.
- Encourage our law enforcement agencies to pay proper attention to all extremists who use violence in America, including white supremacist militias.
- Oppose voter suppression and partisan gerrymandering and support laws that make it easier for Americans to vote.
- Sponsor comprehensive campaign finance reform to make our elections fairer and free from the influence of dark money.
- Insist that ethics rules be enforced, including the emoluments clause of the Constitution, which prohibits foreign payments to Trump’s businesses.